Thursday, July 31, 2014

Island of Dreams, I



Island of Dreams
Actor 1: Woman, doesn’t have the five dollars to enter.
Actor 2: Man, has been waiting overnight. Sick. Period costume, chalk number on his suit (meaning he has an “illness”).
Actor 3: Man, husband of 4. Allowed to stay
Actor 4: Woman, wife of 3. Sent back
Actor 6: Receptionist. Working away at paperwork.
7,8 extras. All just waiting for their names to be called.
Officer 1: Tired demeanor
Officer 2: Tired demeanor
Setting: Ellis Island. Some actors are dressed to period standards (1910s) and some are dressed to modern standards. They are intermingled. Stage is set to look like a waiting room, and there are two officers in “offices” to where people are called to. One is dressed period and the other modern. Background noise of people talking, babies crying, papers rustling
SCENE START
Actors 2,3,4 are sitting, chatting with 6,7,8 about the trip.
Actor 7: How long was your trip?
Actor 3: We got lucky, it was only two weeks. The weather wasn’t too bad.
Actor 7: Hear that, Bertha? The man made it in two weeks!
Actor 8: My nephew came about six months ago and he said it took him an entire month!
Actor 4: Is this your first time here?
Actor 8: No, they turned me back last time, (faces Actor 2) –tuberculosis, you know. As soon as I landed home I turned around and got on the boat back.
Actor 7: Yup, that’s where we met.
Actor 2: So why did you come back? Is it worth it here?
Actor 8: They say it is. Better than Burma.
Actor 1 walks in, hesitates on a seat and finally decides on one. Everyone stares.
Actor 3: I think they might send me back.
Actor 4: Don’t say that, we’ve been praying non-stop. You saw they let me stay.
Actor 3: Yes, but—
Actor 6: 2 and 3 may proceed.
Actor 4, 7, 8: Good luck!
Actors 2 and 3 sit down and officers don’t even acknowledge the two coming in. Just motion with their hands to sit down.
Actor 4: Hi
Actor 1: merely nods.
Actor 4 and Officers 1 and 2:  Why did you come to America?
Actor 2: I want to work
Actor 1: I want to provide a better life for my daughter
Actor 3: I want my son to get a good education
officers write on their notepads. Still haven't looked up at the people sitting in front of them.
Actor 4 and Officers 1 and 2: Where are you from?
Actor 3: El Salvador
Actor 2: Ireland
Actor 1: Italy. You?
Actor 4: Mexico. What do you do for a living?
Officers 1 and 2: Occupation?
Actor 2: Carpenter
Actor 3: Doctor
Actor 1: Housewife
Officers 1 and 2: How much money do you have with you?
Actor 2: $25
Actor 3: Here's the price of admission. shows money. Not much, but I want to work and help this country as much as possible.
Actor 1: breaks down and cries do you have money to lend me? I didn't know you needed money to get in!
Actor 4: I only have enough for me!
Actor 1 looks at 7,8
Actors 7,8: ad lib about not having, but will ask others. ACTOR 1 crying softly
Officers 1 and 2: Okay. Take this paperwork to the Receptionist. You may leave.
Actors 2 and 3 take their papers leave the offices. Hand papers to Receptionist, 2 first. 3 waits in line after him.
Receptionist: I'm sorry, but your illness is deemed a threat to the safety of the United States of America. we do not want you infecting this country. Please go to the left and board the boat back to Liverpool.
Actor 2: No, please, I'm not sick! I only want to help this country out! I'm not a disease!
Receptionist: Please sir. There's nothing I can do about that. Next.
Actor 3: Here are the forms.
Receptionist: I'm sorry, sir, but we cannot risk you taking out benefits in this country—
Actor 3: But I won't, I'm here to work—
Receptionist: Sorry. You'll be taking our jobs. Go to the left door, and get on the plane which will be departing soon.
Actor 3: My family is here!
Receptionist: Door to the left.
Actor 4: What will we do?
Actor 3: I'll be back soon. I'm coming back whatever the cost, and claiming the opportunity they advertise.
  


No comments: